I remember getting an invitation for our friends’ daughter’s first birthday party 4 years ago and thinking, “whaaat do you buy a one year old??” and googling over and over “gifts for 1 year old baby girl” because obviously Google has all of the answers! If my memory is correct, I ended up getting her some clothes and books.
Now that we had our own daughter’s first birthday, I’m sharing our favorite gifts for a 1 year old baby girl (or boy!).
There are so many toys out there, from the most basic stack toys to the most high-tech educational toys. These are just a selection of some of our favorites!
The Best Gifts for 1 Year Old Baby Girl (and Boy!)
- Stack toys are great for development, whether they’re bath stacking cups or blocks (we love these stacking rings too! Eleanor uses them also as bracelets!).
- If you’re looking for a sort of activity center, or something that will get kids moving, there are two toys that we love. The toy car you might remember from childhood is still super popular, and Eleanor will play with it for an hour without stopping. The second is a walker which has a removable activity board. (Obviously, if the one year old is walking, skip this one because a walker isn’t much help.)
- Another toy that can count as an activity center is the cube that everyone seems to have (and love!). Eleanor has been a fan of this one for almost 3 months already, so you could gift this to someone as young as 6 months or even up to 2!
- For music toys, we love the classic xylophone (I can play “Mary Had A Little Lamb” on it, but that’s it… working on my Beyonce next) for its help with hand/eye coordination.
- For smaller toys that they can use on the go, especially if you know they have a long commute or travel often: this baby remote is cute and great for kids who love to touch buttons (aka my baby girl). There’s also this musical toy that plays classical tunes and isn’t at all obnoxious. And every baby needs their own cell phone!
- Kind of more for Mom, but a friend gave us a CD of Beyonce music played on the xylophone, so it’s calmer for babies but Mom can still sing in her head.
- We love board books! They’re so easy for a young child to hold, to turn the pages, etc. We read 2 or 3 books at bedtime every night, so having options is great. And there are so many board books out there! At my baby shower we got quite a few, and it’s so fun to read them to Eleanor now, especially with the notes inside from our family and friends. Just one word of advice: If you gift a book that is common, like Goodnight Moon, try to include a gift receipt just in case! Some of our favorite board books are below.
(The image below is shoppable, so you can just click on each + and go directly to that book or toy!)
- Clothes are still a great gift, especially for a quickly-growing little one! It feels like we are putting away a new bin of too-small clothes every month these days. Our favorites clothing brands for babies are in this post.